Home > Articles > DEBATE Topic - Would you get a black market Brain Implant from a Biohacker for 90% off?

Posted: Mon, February 18, 2013 | By: DEBATE

DIY grinders / biohackers, like Rich Lee, have posited a near-future where  surgeries on the black market would be available for about 90% less than the medical establishment cost.

Of course, the black market surgeries would be performed by grinders with no licenses / legal credentials, with equipment created from ripped-off patents.

The question is - do you, the reader, support “black market” medicine? Are you in favor of DIY Bio that creates pharmaceuticals and surgical equipment, and performs complex surgeries on willing customers?

Would go “go under the knife” yourself, at a Grinder Clinic, for an operation that you can’t afford legally, or is not even available?

Like a “brain implant” upgrade, that might cost $100,000+ at an esteemed hospital? But a Dr. Pirate like Rich Lee can provide for a mere $9,999?

Please leave your comments below.

Comments:

Deffinitly, if I can get someone I would trust,

By ronin on Feb 18, 2013 at 10:35am

I’m risk-averse when it comes to my brain.  But, as soon as Rich develops enough of a track record to be legalized (and maybe regulated for quality) in some reasonable forward-looking country, I’d be tempted to indulge in some medical tourism . . . .

By Mark Waser on Feb 18, 2013 at 11:29am

It may be not only desirable but necessary just to keep up with the competition in the future.

By Sean Henderson on Feb 18, 2013 at 11:44am

I’d have to read a lot about the up and down sides, and see many, many reviews, before I would trust my one and only brain to implants for _any_ price.

By Kennita on Feb 18, 2013 at 12:34pm

Heh I wouldn’t be first in line.  I’d wait for some stats and seeing the results of the guinea pigs.  Depends a bit on the upgrade tho.  If it can increase levels of consciousness, then Im more interested.

By Winslow Strong on Feb 18, 2013 at 12:43pm

I agree with Winslow, I would be down for it, just not the first one. It’s a little trick I learned in life, NEVER be the first to do anything, or the second. Chances of those two dying are higher. Once the Grinder has shown skill and success in it, then I would be all over that.

By Brandon King on Feb 18, 2013 at 2:25pm

I support the freedom of human beings to offer whatever services and products they wish and of other human beings to avail themselves of such services and products as they see fit and think prudent.  To do less is to claim that some humans get to decide for all other humans.

I don’t believe in a ‘black market’ but in the ‘free market’.  A black market only exist when the legally sanctioned market is not remotely free.

I believe in caveat emptor and in the non-initiation of force.  Fraud and harm through gross negligence is a species of initiation of force and should be prosecuted legally as a breach of contract and restitution demanded.

I think that private underwriters can do much to vouch for the quality of various services and products offered with no need for top down controls.  If you choose to purchase and use something not vouched for then you must trust your own judgment or the goods or services or practitioner is too new to have a reputation for quality.

I would not have an non-vetted party do life-altering procedures on my brain.  But I would not wait for FDA approval.

By Samantha Atkins on Feb 18, 2013 at 2:50pm

“Would you get a black market Brain Implant from a Biohacker for 90% off?”

At a certain age and certain desperation. When you got nothing you got nothing to lose.

By Alan Brooks on Feb 18, 2013 at 8:30pm

Like anything else - see how it goes, get some idea of the risk, and accept that some risks are not foreseeable.

But don’t try to be the first for anything, until we have brain backups.

By DCWhatthe on Feb 19, 2013 at 8:08am

If implants are simply “banned” for no adequate reason, then yes, given sufficient trust in the surgeon and technology.
If it is simply expensive, then more likely not; I’d tend more towards applying for a loan, confident that I would receive it thanks to the implicit increase in productivity and economic status it would provide.
Incidentally, this is why I don’t fear augment-induced economic inequality.

By Harry Dishman on Feb 19, 2013 at 9:14am

If I was privy to and consulted about all the specifics and determined the procedure would effect all desired functions and be verifiably unhackable after being implanted, then I would have no reservations about getting a black market brain implant.

By Damian Poirier on Feb 19, 2013 at 10:54am

Hell yes.. I’d look at it the same way I’d choose a tattoo artist to dy by tatt. But if everyone had this stance (as in “see how good the grinder is first”), and from the posts above I’d say you do, I would even be willing to be the first in line. Happy grinding everyone

By Hugh Man on Mar 23, 2013 at 5:43am