On his blog, he says:
“I live in Oakland, CA with my girlfriend of many years, Gretchen. I grew up outside of Buffalo, NY, and also lived briefly in New Orleans, LA. I have worked with computers since 1999 and am currently exploring a new avocation as a writer.
My interest in futurism started early in my youth as I read the science fiction of authors like Isaac Asimov and Robert Heinlein. Later, I admired the work of William Gibson and Neal Stephenson. I am still a big sci-fi fan now, and Verner Vinge, Charles Stross, and Daniel Suarez are some of my favorite contemporary authors.
I got into cognitive science after attending Monica Anderson’s AI Meetup, and then Dana Ream’s Cognitive Science Reading Group. I am very interested in enactivism and embodied cognition. I am an active Meetup.com participant and host my own Futurist Meetup. Some other groups I am part of are Quantified Self and the Long Now. I have also done a lot of work with startups and am interested in the Silicon Valley entrepreneurial scene.
I want to use this blog as a way of sharing and synthesizing the various ideas that are in circulation here in the Bay Area. I encourage everyone interested in these topics to voice their own opinions and join in the conversation.”
- Health Extension Salon #5 at Y Combinator, in Silicon Valley
- Tough Times for Young People Today - will their prospects improve in the Future?
- Writing to Create a “Good Future”
- Utopia Sucks
- Extreme Futurist Festival – Grinders, the Practical Transhumanists
- Quantified Self: What Am I Tracking and Why?
- Some Will Be Living Forever (2033 Immortality Fiction Contestant)
- Aquaponic Cyber Farms and Ending Scarcity (XFF - Douglas Mallette)
- Self-Esteem, Hollywood, and the End of Democracy