Comments:

In order for it to make it in the US, it would need to be odor-free, germ-free, and easy to put somewhere we wouldn’t see it; hen the uses would have to be given catchy names, like Pee-tunia and Power Pee-lant only better, and graphs showing how it saves both money and the environment.

By Kennita Watson on Dec 05, 2012 at 12:36pm

I’d take a urine-diverting toilet if science wants my pee, but that’s as far as I’m willing to go. I will NOT collect my urine by hand. I’d sooner lean against the back of my house to pee.

By Z on Dec 06, 2012 at 9:19am

I believe it’s illegal to divert your waste onto your property (instead of into the sewers) in many places.  The whole notion of sewage collecting in someone’s backyard is terrifying.  It makes people think of Third World countries.  But having said all that, I’m going to start to think of ways to accomplish it.  I guess I could start peeing into a large canister on my back porch.  And I could occasionally dump that canister into my yard.  It would save me money in 3 ways: 1) a smaller water bill from the water I would have used flushing the toilet, 2) an even smaller water bill from the water I would have used from the garden hose to water my yard, and 3) free fertilizer.  Now I just need to ponder whether I’d be dumping flu virus pathogens into my yard every winter.

By NameWithheld on Dec 06, 2012 at 5:34pm

I have been given to believe that urine is sterile when it leaves the body.  I’d believe it; high-molar uric acid would probably kill most germs.

By Kennita Watson on Dec 06, 2012 at 10:18pm

Ahhh….  guys….  If you are going to write about science, try understanding some.  The “generator” “invented” in Nigeria is a perpetual motion machine!  The way you “electrolyze” urine is to pass electricity through it.  WAY, WAY more electricity than you could EVER get back from burning the reualting hydrogen and oxygen.

For anybody who actually believes that this would work, I am a Prince from Nigeria and I have $5 million dollars just for you…

By Bill K. on Dec 07, 2012 at 1:36pm

@Bill - LOL - i caught that too…....darn, no free lunch!  And, if yer gonna electrolyse water, there’s better electrolytes than piss - phew! Can u imagine the stink after a few hours of electrolysis?

By bitrat on Dec 08, 2012 at 11:11am

Remember if you use it as fertilizer to dilute it 1:10. That is 1 part urine to 10 parts water. I’ve been doing this for years now and my gardens are amazing. Both ornamental as well as vegetable/fruit.

By deborah on Dec 10, 2012 at 2:10pm

wow.. im in the library, and dont have sound. so i dont know if the video told of cost efishent, or not. and would like to know… also,,, were to get more info, on the subject.. thk, you

By robert winterholler on Dec 11, 2012 at 9:59am

I am collecting my pee 4 years ago until now. While the collected urine were sprayed to my veggies. But of course I mixed it with water also.

By Eddie on Jan 02, 2013 at 8:39pm

this comment is from Roger Hansen, He sent it to me to post -

“The Roman Emperor Vespasian had the produce of the Rome’s urinals collected, decanted and stored in cisterns, taxed, and sold to the guild of fullers (Suetonius, p. 319). (The fullers were the dry cleaners of Rome. They had discovered that the ammonia in urine had cleaning properties.)

The Emperor’s son Titus, a more genteel individual, protested against the new tax. But pushing a coin beneath his son’s nose, Vespasian reminded him, in one of his best know phrases, that “gold has no odor”.

When the emperor came to power, Rome was bankrupt; when he died it was not. Thus, it may well be that recycling human waste helped restore the Empire to economic well being. (The Emperor’s illustrious name lives on in the vespasiennes, Parisian pissoirs in the graceful shape of sentry boxes.)

If you examine the Roman-Empire-era latrines, you notice that they have a strange configuration.  I wonder if this configuration was useful in the collection of urine?”

By Hank Pellissier on Mar 04, 2013 at 2:17pm